19 March 2010

D is for Dianthus

Ask me what my favorite flower is and I'll say it's Dianthus. It's not really because it starts with the letter D (well, yea, that's one of the reasons) and it's not just because it is, after all, my birth flower; but it's also due to the fact that dianthuses indeed do represent me. Distinction is the key word.



Dianthus (Greek for Jove's flower). Caryophyllaceae. Pink. Small herbs, many of them prized for their rich and showy flowers in the open garden. Some of them are deliciously fragrant. Dianthus is the Latin name for carnation which means "divine flower".

The carnation is the January birth flower.
Carnations have been cultivated for the last 2,000 years. Originally from the East, these hardy and fragrant flowers have the flower meaning of pride, beauty, fascination, love and distinction. Hear, hear!

***********************************
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." - Coco Chanel

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    cool!
    shakerbott said...
    INTERESTING... DIANTHUS.
    Anonymous said...
    I hope, it's OK

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates